The National Agency for Vocational Education and Training and Qualifications (NAVETQ) as the National Support Service for European Platform for Adult Learning in Europe (EPALE) have been awarded a grant from the European Programs for Education and Youth, Erasmus+ for National Coordinators for the Implementation of the European Agenda for Adult Learning (AL-AGENDA). The project aims as follows: (i) to steer an action of support and promotion on adult learning nationally; (ii) to strengthen the interinstitutional coordination, participation and policy debate; (iii) to generate a better understanding on the needs and benefits of adults learning; (iv) to promote and raise awareness among beneficiaries of Adult Learning, and (v) to improve capacity at NAVETQ to drive policy change and interventions in the system of skills and training delivery, through encouraging involvement of partners in policy debate, engage group of interest to present and sinus policy agenda, prepare evidenced based policies and benefit sharing best practices with EU or region neighbours.
The reforming policy of Albania’s education and training system, besides taking into account such traditional issues as: curriculum development, training of teachers/instructors, equipping schools/centres, is going to be oriented toward a “systemic reform” which is going to address issues, such as: Albanian Qualification Framework, capacity building, institutional building, skills needs analysis, social partnership, etc. Adult learning is quite new and very important reforming area for Albania like for all South Eastern European Countries. Its importance is even higher considering the path and the pace of the economic reforms implemented during transition and the respective consequences, the size, the structure and the development level of the private sector, the average skill level of the work force which is far from guaranteeing the economy and the labour force to become competitive in a regionalized and globalized world.
Scope of the assignment
Adult learning is close to, but not synonymous with, continuing vocational education and training. It is usually used: (i) to provide compensatory learning in basic skills, which individuals may not have acquired in their initial education (such as literacy, numeracy, etc.); (ii) to enable people (a) to access and attain qualifications not gained, for various reasons, in the initial education and training system, (b) to acquire, improve or update skills or competences in a specific field; this is continuing vocational education and training. At present the concept of adult learning is not well introduced and developed in the education and training reforms and the awareness about it is still low at all levels of governance as well as among population.
This project aims to contribute to this contextual challenge of Albania, by providing this set of activities: (i) Establish steering committee through a Minister Order and specify role and responsibilities, deliverables and time frame of the mandate. A technical secretariat will be supporting the committee work and deliverables; (ii) thematic conventions are national policy forums, based on concrete report assessment and policy agenda. Four national level conventions will be organized until the national Action plan on AL is being consolidated and submitted to the government as a policy document for endorsement: (iii) assessment on Current Development of AL, Need Assessment for AL programs and Impact Assessment of AL on employment of discouraged women, university graduates and roman are national scale reports, supporting policy coordination and policy debate and developing a Road Map for the Implementation of the National Adult Learning Agenda; and (iv) Online and social media, partners activities, Web site of the steering committees under NAVETQ, printing and distribution of the report, peer exchange.
This assignment’s final objective will be the Road Map for the Implementation of the National Adult Learning Agenda.
The expert will perform the following tasks/deliverables:
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
- Inception Report – A preliminary report, with a detailed work plan, methodological tools, potential list of stakeholders to work with. The inception report should be agreed upon with the representative of NAVETQ and present in details the working plan and expected outcomes.
- Desk research and validating data collection
- Drafting final report in English (approximately 15 pages in addition to the interim report)
- Participation in event with stakeholders to discuss key findings and recommendations of report
- Theoretical and practical familiarity with Adult learning in a developing country context.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Meet tight deadlines without compromising on the quality of work, and being flexible.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communications skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Effectively coordinate and advise.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Time frame and scope of the assignment
- Advanced University Degree in economics, labour economics, socio-economic studies, education or a closely related discipline.
- Have at least 5 years of proven relevant work/consultant experience particularly in relation to adult learning issues in Albania and Europe.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and organizational capacity;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Previous experience with EU programmes is desirable;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and report-writing skills in English and Albanian.
The above mentioned assignment deliverables are expected to be performed in a time span of 2 months, starting from October 2019 and November 2019 with a work load of a total of 40 working days. The inception report should be submitted within 2 weeks after the contract signature between the two parties.
The expert will be reporting to the contractor, periodically (every two weeks) on the progress of the work. The contractor will assure that all deliverables produced by expert are supplied to NAVETQ in high quality in accordance with ToR and within stipulated deadlines.
The Expert will be working independently, however if some working place is needed for meeting or presentation NAVETQ will provide a working station for the consultant.
Travel and communication costs will be covered by the expert, however coordination and support will be offered to the expert by the technical coordinator of this task at NAVETQ.
How and where to apply
Interested applicants are required to submit an Expression of Interest and a separate financial offer for this assignment to the following email address: email@example.com
The application package is required to include a recently updated CV, an electronic copy of a recent report/study performed and a name as referee.
Deadline for application: date 27th, September 2019, 16:30 hrs
More information about Adult learning can be found at: www.akafp.gov.al
1_E_Tor. AL Expert_2019-1